Welcome to My Experiment in Simplifying my Life

Hello and welcome to my experiment.

I decided that my life has gotten way too fast and way too complex. I realize that I am missing many of the most important things because I am moving way too fast to appreciate the simple things in life. So, I have decided that in 2011, I am going to do nothing that is overly complex, will return to eating simple, healthy foods, looking for the simple solutions to every day problems and learn to appreciate the very simple pleasures of being a wife and mother in 2011 and I'm going to blog about it....the simple way.

Wish me luck!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Simplifying the Bucket List

We've all seen "The Bucket List" by now I'm sure and many of us even created our own "Bucket List" after seeing the movie but how many of us actually look at that list and decide whether or not that list really reflects who we are and what we love.

I've been dealing with some strange health issues that no one seems to be able to explain beyond "it's stress". It is entirely possible that it IS stress and that it has been wreaking havoc with my body. It was these strange issues that were a big part of me starting this blog.

What is interesting though, is that as I begin to de clutter my home, I've also had to de clutter my calendar. I've had no choice but to say no to many things, ignore chores that used to be oh so important and have even pared down my reading material which is a feat, I can tell you. The most interesting thing about all of this is that it isn't what I've gotten rid of, but what I am keeping that is starting to tell me what is important to me and more importantly is giving me clues to who I am.

I feel like I am right now working from my own "Bucket List". I know that I'm not dying but I know that I have limited energy available to me so I'm de cluttering my life and focusing on my life at the same time. At the moment, I've taken out work, much of my housework (with the exception of my de cluttering experiment), all social engagements that aren't essential and most importantly, other people's problems. What made the list is listening to my daughter tell me all about Grade 7 boy issues, listening to my son's excitement over a limited edition video game, listening to my youngest read from his new "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book and snuggling with my husband and bichon whenever possible.

7 weeks ago, when I was well and healthy, these things wouldn't have seemed grand enough for a bucket list but I can tell you with every fibre of my being, that unless you have them on your list, you've already lost your ability to live...

No comments:

Post a Comment